Friday, April 18, 2014

AZTEC or FIJIan? Eye-ball grabbing patterns...

From the 13th century, the Valley of Mexico was the heart of Aztec civilization. This MesoAmerican Culture had rich and complex mythological and religious traditions. The current fashion world has attributed an entire fashion trend to the artistic legacy from this great cvilisation. 

On the other hand the traditional tribal art on the Tapa cloth from the Polynesian islands of FIJI is a world renowned art form too. The Tapa cloth, even known as Masi are painted by rubbing, stamping, stencilling, smoking or dyeing. The patterns of Tongan, Samoan, and Fijian Tapa usually form a grid of squares, each of which contains geometrical patterns. they also have repeated motifs such as fish and plants and tortoise.

I understand that there are many overlapping motifs and designs in art, throughout cultures worldwide. Especially since the world is now more connected then ever before, its very easy to get confused and then misappropriate credit of such taditional art.
Recently a renowned fashion designer also recieved great flak for such a blunder.
I do not wish to walk that very same thin ice, myself. Hence the undermentioned clarification...

DISCLAIMER:
I do not claim any copyrights on the traditional tribal art motifs used  in my works. And neither do I intend to attribute the motifs of the Tapa Art to Aztec designs. The line of handpainted products that I offer and have titled 'AZTEC STORIES' are in fact a fusion of both these art forms where motifs and patterns have been interspersed to create visual vibrancy. i am a big fan of both the art forms and do not intend to glorify only one art form while stealing from another. The reason behind the naming of the product line is simply because of its wide popularity and familiarity between my target audience.Tapa paintings being relatively lesser known in the Indian markets,did not become the first choice for the naming of the product line.


https://www.facebook.com/YOLObyVibz


Having said that I wish to call the paintings and fashion accessories made in this contemporary fusion style, my own and i wish that my audience do not flout the laws against plagiarism. 'My Aztec Queen' bears my copyrights and the idea of application of the designs is my intellectual property too..

Please do visit my FB page https://www.facebook.com/YOLObyVibz ....to stay tuned into the latest tales....Will be uploading this tantalising collection real soon #YOLO

No comments:

Post a Comment